What is the ideal bedtime for 7 year old children?
What is the ideal bedtime for a 7 year old? Your child wants to stay up later, but you want them to go to bed early to get the sleep they need. If you are currently undergoing negotiations in your household around what time your 7 year old should go to bed, you can use this information to help you set the right bedtime.
We will also give you some helpful tips on how to help get them to sleep at the right bedtime.
How much sleep does a 7 year old need?
The recommended total hours of sleep for a 7 year old child is between 9-11 hours a night. Their brains and bodies are still developing a lot at this age, which is why getting so much sleep is crucial.
Human growth hormone (HGH) is produced during sleep, and children need more of it so that they can grow healthy tissues and cells.
What time should 7 year olds go to bed?
Suppose your child needs to wake up at 6am to get ready for school. You can count backwards 9-11 hours. This means the ideal bedtime is between 7pm and 9pm.
You can also work it out in reverse. If you prefer that your child goes to bed at 7pm or 8pm, just for a little adult time at the end of the day, count from there and make your child’s wake-up time 6am, 7am or even 8am.
A sleep calculator is also a great tool to use to determine the right bedtime.
Effects of lack of sleep in children
Sleep deprivation in children can lead to a long list of side effects, which include:
- Struggling to focus during the day
- Daytime fatigue
- Mood swings, irritability and behavioural problems
- Impaired immune system
- Impaired development due to less human growth hormone produced
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Impulse control problems
How to stick to a bedtime routine
Setting the right bedtime for your 7 year old is a lot easier than getting them to stick to a bedtime routine. This is where you need to be persistent (and consistent). Some children adapt to a sleep schedule faster than others, but all children are adaptable.
Here are a few tips to help your 7 year old sleep and stick to a bedtime routine:
- Wake them up at the same time every day, so their bodies get into a type of rhythm, and so they will start to become tired at a similar time every night.
- Develop a set pre-bed routine that will signal to their brains that it is time to get ready for bed, like a relaxing bath. You can also implement pre-bed rituals like switching off digital devices and putting on some soothing music.
- You can try natural remedies to help kids sleep like making sure they get enough exercise, using a lavender pillow spray, and creating a comfortable sleep environment.
If there is one thing that children respond to well, it is routine. Getting your 7 year old to go to bed at the right time might be a bit of a challenge in the beginning, but if you stick to the routine, their bodies will adjust, and it will become easier.
You can use this information to help you when it comes to negotiating your child’s bedtime.